I hear a lot of women saying that they would do so much better with their healthy lifestyle if they could get their husbands/significant others on board. It's hard to eat healthy and feel like you have to make separate meals for your man. What's worse is when your hubby goes grocery shopping and buys a ton of junk to fill your house full and you end up eating it all in a weak moment. We've all been there!
My husband is a junk food fan. He craves junk food. He loves candy, soda and sugary treats. When I started eating clean,.. he wasn't quite sure what to think. He couldn't figure out what to eat! There were no bags of chips in our pantry and no soda in the fridge!! I told him that I wasn't buying any of that stuff anymore and even though he didn't love the idea...he knew it was the best thing for all of us.
These days...my husband eats fairly clean. He eats very well at home (because that's the only option) and when he feels like a splurge he buys it and eats it on the way home or at work. I can't control what he eats all of the time. I can just offer him health meals and believe it or not...he loves everything I feed him. I don't tell him if I use spaghetti squash instead of noodles...I just place it in front of him and he eats it! He rarely complains! He is usually shocked by how much he likes all my "healthy" foods!
My best advice...offer healthy meals, help your significant other pack their foods for the day and don't keep junk food in the house. You'll be surprised by how well they handle the transition!
I sat down with my husband and asked him what his favorite meals/snacks were and this is what he said:
- Steel Cut Oatmeal with raisins, walnuts and maple syrup
- Eggs, uncured bacon and pancakes using Bobs Red Mill 10 grain mix.
- Cottage cheese with pineapple
- Apple, organic cheese stick and almonds
- Organic Toasted Coconut chips
- Avocado with honey and sunflower seeds (sounds strange but he loves this snack!)
- hummus and veggies
- Leftovers (this is his lunch the majority of the time...I always package up whatever is left from dinner the night before so all he has to do is grab it and pack it in his cooler in the morning before work)
- Tomato sandwiches with fruit and black bean chips (We have a garden FULL of tomatoes and he LOVES tomato sandwiches with whole grain bread, organic mayo and fresh tomatoes.)
- Pork Tenderloin with grilled veggies
- Breakfast for dinner (He loves omelettes with nitrate free ham, onions, and feta cheese. I usually make whole grain pancakes with a little banana mixed in. This is probably his favorite dinner!)
- Honest Tea
- Black Coffee
- Dark chocolate chips