Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole
- 8 Ezekiel bread slices (toasted and cubed) **Or other whole grain bread
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 1 green pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 8 slices nitrate free bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- 2 egg whites (or 1/3 cup liquid egg whites)
- 6 organic eggs
- 2 cups milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded organic cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
Spray an 11 x 7 casserole dish with non-stick spray and add bread cubes.
Add olive oil to a large skillet on medium high heat and add peppers and onions. Cook until onions are translucent and peppers are soft. Pour over bread cubes. Sprinkle bacon over the top.
Add egg whites/eggs to medium bowl. Beat eggs well with a fork. Add milk, basil, cheese, salt and pepper. Pour over the top of the casserole.
Cover and refrigerate from 4 hours to overnight.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes uncovered. You will know it is done when the eggs "puff up" and the casserole starts to turn golden brown.
So tell me....
What is your favorite breakfast to make/eat on Christmas morning??
Favorite holiday tradition??
Hot cocoa or coffee?? Which is your fave??