I love the idea of starting the new year with a plan or resolution to improve your health. Most people have some kind of resolution pertaining to their weight. The only problem with that is that people start strong by cutting their calories in half and going to the gym daily. They give it all they have for a few weeks and after that they realize that they can't stick to a diet/routine like that!
I think the best idea is to plan to improve upon your health. Don't go crazy right off the bat....just start making a few changes here and there. Eventually, you will find that making small changes isn't that hard and that you are feeling better than ever and you will want to make even more healthy improvements!!
I have come up with 5 simple changes to implement for 2014. Vow to stick to these changes for at least 2 weeks. I bet after those 2 weeks are up....you will be ready to make more small changes that will make a huge impact on your health!!
1. Cut out low fat, light or fat free food products: This was one of the hardest things for me to do. I was so convinced that eating the full fat version of my favorite yogurt would cause me to gain weight instead of lose it. Boy, was I wrong. Low fat or fat free versions of any product have added sugars and chemicals. Sugar and chemicals are way worse for you than a couple extra fat grams!
2. Read your ingredients: Before you buy anything at the grocery store...take a quick peak at the ingredient label. If there are words that you can not pronounce or more than about 5 ingredients.....don't buy it!! The goal is to eat WHOLE foods and any packaged food with an ingredient list a mile long....is far from REAL food!! You will really be surprised by some of your favorite snacks!!
3. No more artificial sweeteners: You would be surprised at all of the foods that they sneak artificial sweeteners in!! Diet sodas, yogurt, canned fruit and fruit juices are some popular items that you can find artificial sweeteners in. Aspartame, sucralose (a.k.a. Splenda) and saccharin are some of the names that you want to look out for. Go for more natural sweeteners like honey, real maple syrup or stevia.
4. No refined oils: Throw out your vegetable and canola oil!! Oh and don't forget that margarine in your fridge!! Switch over to some healthier oils. This was one very easy switch that I made this year. My favorite healthy oils to use are coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil.
5. Drink more water and less junk: Soda's, drink mixes, flavored waters and athletic drinks, are all full of ingredients that you don't want to be putting in your body. Try drinking more water, milk, coffee or teas. Just make sure if you like to sweeten your tea or coffee that you use an all natural sweetener! I really love the way my skin looks and the way I feel when I am drinking plenty of water! I like to shoot for at least half my body weight in ounces. I am also a huge coffee fan...which I now drink black. I pretty much weaned myself off of creamer and sugar in less than a month and I am never looking back!! Green tea is really great sweetened with honey!
Those are all some really awesome resolutions to make for 2014!! You will be so amazed at how simple they really are if you just put your mind to it!! A really great website to go to if you are researching ingredient lists is FoodFacts.com. It will help you find some healthier alternatives to the foods you love!!
**Exercise is also very important to add to your New Year's Resolution. I recommend starting a 60 or 90 day challenge. I did the Bikini Body Mommy 90 day challenge twice this year. It was great for keeping me motivated.
Hope you all have a wonderful and healthy 2014!!
DISCLOSURE: Some of my posts contain affiliate links. The cost of the product is the same but I may receive a small compensation through the links. Don't worry...I would never recommend anything that I don't 100% love and use myself!